Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Ups and Downs of January and February

Blog? Oh yeah, I have one of those. I should probably write on it occasionally...
I spent the majority of January on my parents' couch.  After the powders and herbal pills didn't kill Miles, I took the antibiotics.  The antibiotics were worse than Miles.  In addition to the symptoms Miles had brought me, the antibiotic made everything taste like metal.  I already had no appetite, but the metallic taste in my mouth made eating quite unappealing. I practically lived on grape Kool-Aid for about a week and a half.  Oh, and then the doctor made me get on the scale. Since I left Branson, I've lost about 20 pounds....
Funny story about that: a little old lady saw me walking down a hallway. She asked me how tall I am. When I told her that I was about 5'8" she was shocked. She informed me that I looked 6'3" but that was probably just because I was so skinny....losing 20 pounds makes me look like I grew 7 inches???
After I was done with the antibiotics, my appetite did return.  I'm not well yet, but I am better.  My digestive system isn't normal, I'm still spending lots of time napping on the couch and I don't have much energy or strength.
Another fun story: My dad and I went to lunch. I was driving his antique Datsun that lacks power steering.  When I tried to park, I couldn't turn the wheel. At all. I was actually out of my seat pulling with all my weight.  Couldn't turn the wheel.  It probably didn't help that I was laughing at the ridiculousness of my weakness. My dad finally had to reach over and help me so we could park the truck. Maybe when I get some energy I should start working out...
Most days I think Miles is dead, other days I'm not so sure. I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks; I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy on March 8 (yeah, my life is sooo much fun, try not to be jealous, okay?). Hopefully by then I'll be well and the doc will tell me that I can buy my ticket back to Nicaragua.
Now, despite being sick, I've still enjoyed the last couple of months.  I've been able to attend a wedding, go camping, play in the snow, and traveled with my family to my sister's college for Family Weekend.  And lately I've been baking a lot.  My parents told me they'll miss the cakes, cookies and pies when I leave. :)
It's too bad that blogging isn't as fun as making desserts...otherwise I'd blog all the time! Ohhh...and I'd love suggestions on new desserts to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment